SC - Question

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Wed Nov 18 00:48:08 PST 1998

Ras,

Are you basing this whole argument on Platina?  He tells of a friend who
saw ONE pig so fat it couldn't get up.  Well, I've seen one, too, but
only one.  That one was in Germany, the brood sow for the boar farm.  The
pigs were real boars, the off-spring looked like, and tasted prety much
like, the wild boar of the German forest.  There's a big market for boar
in German restaurants--and I wish we had the game farms they do!

Granted, Platina says that pigs have more fat than other animals.  That
doesn't equal your claims that medieval pigs were bred for fat, or were
fatter than pigs of 30 years ago, or today's newer breeds of pigs.

 As for trusting paintings, of course we regard them with at least a
little scepticism, but it is easier--and more available--to look at
pictures than to read period texts.  We don't all read 'leventy-million
languages as Phlip does, or as you do, perhaps.  When you see numerous
paintings that are consistent in subject matter, although from different
painters, countries, and time periods, you don't automatically distrust
every one of them because of one bit of gossip in one book.  What else
have you read?

Regards,

Allison
allilyn at juno.com, Barony Marche of the Debatable Lands, Pittsburgh, PA