SC - fire pit

Philippa Alderton phlip at bright.net
Thu Nov 19 05:30:36 PST 1998

Phillipa, a city girl, asks:

>Wouldn't an in-ground fire pit help curb a wild fire?<

Sorry, cousin, but that answer depends on the area you're in. On Monhegan
Island, Maine, for example, the organic matter is so deep and rich, that a
fire could smoulder under the surface of the soil for days, weeks, months,
even years before breaking out in a wild fire. In my area, a heavy coal
mining area, a couple of the deep mines were closed because of fires which
are still burning underground- over 100 years ago!!!! This may or may not
be the case is the area described, it may just be, as has also happened to
me, that the area doesn't want pits dug because your average flat-lander
tourist type doesn't remember to fill them in.

In any case, I vote for following the local regulations- there's likely a
good reason for them.

Phlip
Caer Frig
Barony of the Middle Marches