SC - Exchange rates

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Thu Nov 19 08:45:52 PST 1998

>from conversations I've had with some gentlemen who visited from
>the British Isles (when the exchange rate was just about 2US to
>1pound....showing the time-line this would be about 5 or 6 years ago),
>
>"That cost $2US?  That only costs us 1pound."
>Brenna

Just to be argumentative, the exchange rate for dollars to pounds has not
approached $2 = L1 at any time in the last 13 years.  When I started
importing books from England (1986 or so), the exchange rate was roughly
L1 = $1.56, and most recently (fresh back from our trip to England) it is
L1 = $1.70.  Of course, it is easier to just double the price and then
deduct a little from that, but I have been very glad that the cost is not
truely doubled in that whole time!
	Christianna
(when in England my lord did make the observation that the prices were
about the same [in grocery stores, anyway], just that they were in
pounds.  That is, if something cost us $1.99 in the states, it would be
L1.99 there, but that would actually cost us $3.50 or so)