SC - Re: Customs

Phillippa Venn-Brown p.vbrown at tsc.nsw.edu.au
Fri Nov 20 13:40:14 PST 1998

> From: LrdRas at aol.com
> To: sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG
> Subject: SC - Re: Customs
> Date: Saturday, 21 November 1998 1:53

 Again no attempt was made to
> either control or dictate garb or anyother outward diplay of period play
by
> guests.
>
> We try to allow for a setting where each persona, no matter what time
period
> they are emulating, can relax and play their individual games within the
over
> all theme of the event. Frankly, attempts to control such things as what
guest
> participants wear or display appears to me to border on persona
manipulation
> or even the Renfaire sort of yuck. Although co-ordinating host activities
is
> not a bad thing, IMO.

Lord Ras,
You and the list are bound toget a heap of postings from Lochac re. this.
When we do a themed feast in Lochac, such as Kiriel described in her
posting NONE of the guests are forced to wear garb to co-ordinate or set a
display that matches the theme.

Lochac is quite heavy/strong on "theatre" (by this I do not mean
Shakespeare, although we enjoy plays and drama and farce just as much as
anybody). The "theatre" I refer to is overall presentation, the total feel
of the event.

Many local groups do themed feasts in our principality e.g. Manzikert (A
Byzantine feast hosted by Dismal Fogs which is a predominantly Varangian
and Byzantine flavoured shire), William Marshall (a 12th century
event/feast by the Barony of Stormhold) etc.

All our major events such as Principality Investitures have a theme, be it
15th German, mid-16th century Italian, Viking etc. Often the theme reflects
the interests of the hosting group or the personae of the Lord and Lady of
Lochac who will be invested at the event, as a mark of respect. This allows
for consistency through food, hall decoration, entertainment, presentation
etc. It also allows the participants to experience as fully as they wish, a
total feasting experience of a high court event of that period. Often the
colours chosen are part of the hosting group's device and as such are
usually destined to be reused as part of group gear (wall hangings, hospit.
gear, etc.). This also puts on a good dispaly for newcomers and visitors.

While people might be encouraged to come garbed to match, there is no
coercion to match, No one is refused the right to hang personal banners
"because they don't match the theme" nor to add to the table decorations to
suit their own playing of the game. However some enjoy the chance to try
out a new style which is different from their normal persona and I know
many gentles here who have one or more outfits which are not of their
regular wardrobe. My persona is late fifteenth/early sixteenth century
northern Italian but my wardrobe also contains 16th c. German, 15th c.
Swiss, Saxon, late Norman, Turkish and (dare I say) Cavalier. All of these
pieces were trial outfits when I was toying with persona change or just
wanted to try a new style. A themed feastis a great excuse when your
wardrobe is already brimming with your usual garb.

Some events, like Manzikert, exact a forfeit if you choose not to wear
Byzantine or Varangian, you are asked to entertain, but it is all in good
fun and people who are truly uncomfortable with the idea of entertaining
are not forced to do so.

Speaking personally, i have never been forced to attend an event in theme
nor ostracised or made uncomfortable because I don't have, or choose not to
have, garb that matches the theme of the event. However, having been on the
stewarding team for several principality events in charge of subtleties or
entertainment or both, I find it much easier if there is a theme to match
it to.

Filippa Ginevra