SC - hemp laws

Sun Nov 22 06:14:15 PST 1998

> >Arizona is one of those states, but if a doctor prescribes it, he is
> breaking
> >FEDERAL law.
> >
> >Mordonna Dubois
>

> Coming into this late (trying to catch up on email delayed by surery), I
> would point out that Alaska did just that this past election.
> Theoretically, it is now legal for marijuana to be prescribed by a doctor
> for patients in certain categories. How the patient is to get it, is
> uncertain. Regulations still need to be written.....
>
> And, of course, it's still illegal as far as the feds are concerned. But
> usually the feds (at least in independent Alaska) leave that kind of
> enforcement alone unless they want to use the charge for harassment or to
> dig for something else.
>
> Morgana

I would point out that there is nothing illegal about prescribing marijuana.
Marijuana is a controlled substance and it is unlawful to possess, buy, sell
or otherwise transfer marijuana without the appropriate tax stamps.  The
prescription is not illegal, untaxed physical possession and transfer is.

Medical marijuana is produced by the U.S. government and distributed like a
scheduled narcotic.  If a person has a prescription and obtains their
marijuana through an authorized source, no problem.  If they get their
marijuana from an unauthorized source, state and local cops should leave the
possessor alone, unless they want them for something else, at which point
they will go after them for the unlawful purchase.  The Feds normal don't go
after simple possession, unless they think they can squeeze information
which will lead to a nice, big, headline grabbing bust.

In 1972, I met Lance Christy, a researcher who possessed a marijuana tax
stamp.  He was allowed to possess and dispense marijuana inside the confines
of his facility (an old house) in Berkeley.  The Feds delivered a pound of
marijuana to his door every month.  To get a legal buzz in Berkeley, you
became one of his subjects.

The political climate makes it difficult to possess marijuana under
prescription.  It's long history as an easily obtained, naturally occurring
recreational drug makes it difficult for moral zealots to see any medicinal
value, unlike a number of cocaine and opiate derivatives and synthetics
which can be found in registered hospitals and pharmacies.

Also, a practical reason law enforcement is opposed to prescription
marijuana is that determining impairment levels is impossible with the
current field tests.  Life is much easier if all use is illegal.

Bear