SC - Marijuana Laws (Was: hemp laws)

Micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Sun Nov 22 12:36:51 PST 1998

Morgana said...

>Coming into this late (trying to catch up on email delayed by surery), I
>would point out that Alaska did just that this past election.
>Theoretically, it is now legal for marijuana to be prescribed by a doctor
>for patients in certain categories. How the patient is to get it, is
>uncertain. Regulations still need to be written.....
>
>And, of course, it's still illegal as far as the feds are concerned. But
>usually the feds (at least in independent Alaska) leave that kind of
>enforcement alone unless they want to use the charge for harassment or to
>dig for something else.

In parts of Canada medicinal use of marijuana has been somewhat
decriminalized. Although not LEGAL, we have the same attitudes in several
of our provinces.  Use of pot (not hash) for AIDS victims, cancer patients,
glaucoma (sp?) sufferers etc. has been encouraged by most in the medical
profession although, again, the wherewithall to obtain it is extrememly
vague.  There are people that have been busted in the very recent past in
regards to growing it for these people. The media however shows a very
lenient and somewhat favourable bias towards these people and I feel that
the changing attitudes to this almost harmless but beneficial herb can only
be one of good.

Although we do not have high profile legal cases like the recent one in
California, we have had our media favoured cases. Like the hemp store owner
in the Greater Toronto Area who was  actually busted for selling hemp
articles. The judge actually made a precedent setting decision in citing
that even tho' this was a supreme court case, he himself could not change
the laws by dismissing it, this was up to the legislative body to correct
an outdated law. This, IMO, is a very valid and encouraging direction,
especially for those that are in great need of it to alleviate certain
discomforts of their respective diseases.

If you would like, I can post an amusing anecdote. Just ask.

Micaylah
- -can you tell which side of the fence I sit on?-