SC - hemp laws

Sun Nov 22 10:06:56 PST 1998

> Bear,
> >I would point out that there is nothing illegal about prescribing
> marijuana.
> >Marijuana is a controlled substance and it is unlawful to possess, buy,
> sell
> >or otherwise transfer marijuana without the appropriate tax stamps.  The
> >prescription is not illegal, untaxed physical possession and transfer is.
>
> Is there not a dfference in the u.s.  between possession and trafficing?

Yes, but at the federal level in the US all offenses begin with the fact
that lawful possession of marijuana requires a federal tax stamp.  It is the
same situation you have with whiskey.  Taxed whiskey is legal untaxed
whiskey is not.

To lawfully possess marijuana, you must apply for the tax stamp.  They are
hard to get and applicants are scrutinized very carefully.

> >In 1972, I met Lance Christy, a researcher who possessed a marijuana tax
> >stamp.  He was allowed to possess and dispense marijuana inside the
> confines
> >of his facility (an old house) in Berkeley.  The Feds delivered a pound
> of
> >marijuana to his door every month.  To get a legal buzz in Berkeley, you
> >became one of his subjects.
>
> I guess there are ways around every law if necessary.

I would point out this was not a way around the law.  Lance applied for and
received the required tax stamp.  His research protocols and the
restrictions placed on how the drug was to be dispensed specified the legal
requirements for use.  His facility was licensed by the State of California
to prescribe and dispense marijuana under controlled conditions.  The
situation was entirely within the law and had been authorized by the
requisite agencies as being lawful.

> >The political climate makes it difficult to possess marijuana under
> >prescription.  It's long history as an easily obtained, naturally
> occurring
> >recreational drug makes it difficult for moral zealots to see any
> medicinal
> >value, unlike a number of cocaine and opiate derivatives and synthetics
> >which can be found in registered hospitals and pharmacies.
>
> Are you talking about pharmaceutical thc or pot here?

Yes.  Our moral guardians see nothing pharmaceutical about THC or pot.  They
believe the only reason to use it is to get blasted and attempts to use
marijuana in medicine are simply backdoor tactics to legalize general use.
These are the same people who protest sex education because it leads to
fornication and considers unwed mothers as sinners receiving their just
reward.

Smoking dope is a serious enough sin, that the Great White Father in
Washington didn't inhale.

> > Life is much easier if all use is illegal.
>
> Is this your opinion or the genreal "establisment" one? If so, it can be
> argued quite effectively against. Marijuana should be legalized for most
> reasons you have just cited, but again perhaps this topic is not
> appropriate for this venue?
>
> Micaylah
> -who would not dream of purposely offending the conservative element on
> this List-

It is a view that has been expressed by a number of government officials
primarily in law enforcement.  My opinions are somewhat more complex.  I
take no offense and concur with your thought that this thread has reached
its limits within this venue.

Bear