SC - sausage stuffers

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Nov 23 04:02:56 PST 1998

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Phlip said (about using a cut up soda bottle as a funnel to stuff sausage):
>
> > That's a wonderful method to use, if you have a bunch of sausage, and a
> > bunch of stuffers, and minimal $ to work with, but considering what proper
> > sausage stuffing set-ups cost, for the home consumer, you might just as
> > well buy the proper set-up.
>
> The sausage stuffers that I've seen advertised here (Austin, TX) have been
> on the order of $65 and up. Not what I would consider minimal $, especially
> for something that might not get used much. Which setups are you speaking of,
> how much money and where can I buy them?

I seem to recall paying $35 for my rather minimalist kit, which consists
of a standard crank-driven meat grinder, with an oblong funnel that fits
under the ring-collar that normally holds the blade and plate in place.
Once I realized that the blade and plate didn't have to be in place once
the seasoned stuffing was prepared for stuffing, I was fine
(instructions were minimal to non-existent, as I recall). This was
probably 14 years ago, though. I use it anywhere from once to six or
seven times a year, and it has surely paid for itself since I've owned
it; it hasn't suffered any appreciable wear and tear in fourteen years.

There are setups that won't grind the meat, but which basically extrude
the meat into the casings, using a plunger of some kind. There are small
ones that look like one of those cookie extruders, where you push a
plunger or twist a knob, and larger ones that look vaguely like some
sort of machinist's equipment, complete with hydraulic mechanical
assistance. I've seen machines like that which will hold five and ten
pounds of meat, and the one my butcher uses is similar, but larger: it
probably holds 35-50 lbs at a time.

Personally I prefer the grinder and attachment, given space limitations
I try to avoid any kitchen tool that has only one purpose, especially if
large.

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --