SC - Pigs revisited OT

Marilyn Traber margali at 99main.com
Mon Nov 23 08:30:46 PST 1998

Gee, in the american sub community, they are called pigboats because the old
diesel subs had a rather...ummm...limited supply of water and restrictions on
making more water so bathing was rather unusual. I understand the smell on
opening the hatch when reaching port was eyewatering, to say the least!
margali
[at least in my lords navy they now have a much better situation, with the advent
of zoomie tech, they use the steam generated by the cooling water system to flash
distill salt water for both drining AND bathing. He still smells of machine oil
and other things, but at least not massive BO!]

> What about Lindsey Davis' "The Silver Pigs", which title refers to
> ingots of unrefined metal after its first smelting. The molds are
> connected to a main reservoir via a series of runnels or sprues, and the
> setup is said to look like pigs suckling on (off?) a sow. The book, BTW,
> is an absolutely wonderful hard-boiled private-eye novel set in
> Vespasian's Rome. All the Hammett/Chandler/Spillane cliches are there in
> some refreshing new (old?) form.

great books, they now are into quite the series,
http://www.dircon.co.uk/ldavis/The Silver Pigs; Shadows in Bronze; Venus in
Copper; The Iron Hand of Mars; Poseidon's Gold; Last Act in Palmyra; Time to
Depart; A Dying Light in Corduba; Three Hands in the Fountain and Two for the
Lions, and 3 short stories- Investigating the Silvius Boys in No Aliby edited by
Jakubowski, Abstain From Beans in Perfect Criminal, ed by Edwards and The Party
May Yet Be Living which is not yet published.