SC - Steam in the Bread Oven

Thu Nov 26 10:01:44 PST 1998

> The Sourdough Rye was, uh, rather dense -- even more
> dense than I'd expect a rye to be; but good flavour. I'll definitely try
> this one again.

The gluten in flour depends on the variety of cereal used to make the flour.
Rye in general is lower in gluten than wheat, which is why many rye bread
recipes call for a mix of rye and wheat flour.  You may have a rye flour
that is particularly low in gluten and can probably improve the density by
adding some wheat flour.

> I found millet meal at a local organic food store. Anybody tried baking
> with millet? Also found spelt and barley grain -- anybody have any
> experience with grinding these? I may just send a half-cupful through the
> grinder just to see what they do.
>
> Elizabeth

Millet doesn't have gluten so you will need to mix it with wheat flour for
yeast baking.  Try toasting the millet to improve the flavor.

Bear