SC - Rastons experiment

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Nov 26 20:32:11 PST 1998

Bear said:
> > . What did you serve this with? Sounds like it
> > would be best with stewed meat and onions poured over a serving size
> > portion.
> >
> > Ras
>
> The recipe for rastons uses an egg enriched dough.  It might have been used
> as you suggest, but I think it may be a predecessor to fruit breads.
>
> There is supposed to be a recipe earlier than this one for "Wastels yfarced"
> (IIRC) which I do not have and may shed some light on how stuffed breads
> were served.

What evidence do we have that says stuffed breads are descendents of rastons
or even that they share the same ancestor? Or are we just grouping all breads
together that have something done to them after baking?

So, while I used sourdough for my raston is there a better bread to use that
is egg enriched? Is this bread available commercially? While I have baked
sourdough bread in the past, I'm not sure if I'm up to attempting or having
the time to bake more types of bread currently.

Thanks.
  Stefan li Rous
  stefan at texas.net