SC - Thanksgiving-oop

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Nov 29 06:49:49 PST 1998

Philippa Alderton wrote:

> Well, having seen everyone else's dinners, I'm feeling a bit of a piker.
> Turkey is the LAST thing we're likely to serve on our table- my mother
> worked for many years at the Alexandria Va Detox, and all they served was
> turkey- turke burgers, ground turkey, turkey ham, turkey cutlets, turkey
> bacon, etc, and since she's up visiting from S. Carolina, turkey was
> definitely NOT on the menu!

For practical purposes, my family wasn't allowed to eat lamb until I was
a teenager, and after that we still ate it very rarely. My Dad wouldn't
allow it, ostensibly because of its horrible smell, greasiness, etc.,
but in reality because _his_ Dad had been part of the military force
that put down the Boxer rebellion, and then travelled home via a very
slow troop ship provisioned pretty much with nothing but mutton for the
rather long trip. My Dad also claimed Lizzie Borden was perfectly
justified in killing her parents (never mind the evidence presented at
the trial proved, to varying degrees of satisfaction, that she _didn't_)
because they served leftover mutton and broth at every meal, for more
than a week, in August.

> Since we were on the move, I undercooked everything a bit and finished it up
> at Mama and Junior's place. While we were doing the final heating, Junior
> and Tommy went hunting and brought us in a big red squirrel, so we boiled
> the blazes out of it, deboned it, added a bit of salt, pepper, allspice and
> garlic powder, and served it as gravy.

A nice touch! Hunting on Thanksgiving beats the heck out of football
_or_ parades, in my view. Closest I could get in my locale is to say I
_almost_ went cod fishing that morning, but the logistics weren't in
favor of such a plan, unfortunately.

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --