SC - Thanksgiving-oop recipe FENNEL, PROSCIUTTO AND PINE NUT STUFFING

Deborah Schumacher chicagojo at rni.net
Sun Nov 29 18:56:16 PST 1998

I'm not  Meadhbh but I pulled this off the web page to maybe save her some
typing

FENNEL, PROSCIUTTO AND PINE NUT STUFFING

Italian flavors accent this innovative stuffing. We suggest making it with
the Roast Turkey with Red Currant Jelly and Citrus Glaze; reserve the fennel
stalks and fronds for use in the stock that’s needed for the gravy.

1 1-pound round sourdough bread, crust trimmed, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
(about 10 cups)

6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter
5 cups thinly sliced green onions
3 medium fennel bulbs, trimmed, bulbs very coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon fennel seeds, coarsely ground
9 ounces prosciutto, chopped
1 cup pine nuts, toasted
1/2 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram
1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
4 large eggs, beaten to blend

Canned low-salt chicken broth

Preheat oven to 350°F. Divide bread between 2 large rimmed baking sheets.
Bake until slightly dry, about 10 minutes. Cool completely. Transfer to
large bowl. Melt butter in large skillet over high heat. Add onions and
fennel bulbs and seeds; sauté until onions soften but fennel bulbs are still
crisp-tender, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat. Mix in prosciutto, pine
nuts, parsley, marjoram and lemon peel. (Bread and fennel mixture can be
made 1 day ahead. Cover separately. Store bread at room temperature;
refrigerate fennel.) Add fennel mixture to bread. Season with salt and
pepper. Mix in eggs.

To bake stuffing in turkey:
Loosely fill main cavity with stuffing. Add enough broth to remaining
stuffing to moisten lightly (about 1/4 to 1/2 cup, depending on amount of
remaining stuffing). Generously butter glass baking dish. Spoon remaining
stuffing into prepared dish. Cover with buttered foil, buttered side down.
Bake stuffing in dish alongside turkey until heated through, about 25 to 30
minutes. Uncover and bake until top is slightly crisp and golden, about 15
to 20 minutes.

To bake all of stuffing in baking dish:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously butter 13 x 9 x 2-inch glass baking dish.
Add enough broth to stuffing to moisten (about 3/4 to 1 cup). Transfer
stuffing to prepared dish. Cover with butter foil, buttered side down; bake
until heated through, about 30 to 35 minutes. Uncover and bake until top is
slightly crisp and golden, about 20 to 25 minutes longer.

Serves 8 to 10.

Bon Appétit
November 1998

I got the  magazine too because it  looked yummy- but I  kept with
standard bread/sage stuffing, turkey, mashed potatoes green bean casserole,
cranberries and pumpkin pie - the sad thing? there are only two of us  We
have leftovers galore!
Zoe

- ----