SC - Roast Eggs in Lent

Kerri L Geppert clarelena at juno.com
Sun Nov 1 16:24:39 PST 1998

A friend and I are working on a recipe from the Noble Book of Cookery for
Roast Eggs in Lent.
I don't have the original recipe here since she took it home with her so
I'm working from my
notes.  The basics (from my notes) are to blow out the eggs, wash the
shells, then take thick
milk of  almonds, heat to the boiling point, put in a cloth and strain
it, let the water drain out. Put
to it (we assumed the solids) berme, white sugar, ginger, cinnamon and
color with saffron.  Roast
the eggs and serve.

It took us awhile to figure out what "berme" was.  We found several
definitions for "barm" so we are
assuming this may be the same.  Since barm is the yeast that floats to
the top, we were wondering
why it would be used.  Is it a flavoring or a binding agent or both?  If
we can't find any barm, is there
anything that would be a reasonable substitute?  One of the brewers here
is going to start a batch of ale
for us to have the barm so we'll be able to experiment.

Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated.  If folks are
interested, I'll post our final recipe and
results as we get closer.  We are planning on entering this in an
upcoming cooking competition (end of November).
Thanks in advance.
Clare Elena
Canton Inbhir na da Abhann
Principality of Oertha