SC - Help needed for outdoor feast!

LtSpicy at aol.com LtSpicy at aol.com
Mon Nov 2 23:04:51 PST 1998

Greetings Good Gentles,
I sorta volunteered to be feast-o-crat for an event in Shire of Isles, CAID in
April 99.  As the head of our local cooking guild I was asked (begged) to help
with the first feast around here in ages.  I need help!
First, I've looked at the sites with the autocrat, and the idea is that there
will be performances (think outdoor theater) with food between/before
performances.  I have plenty of talented people to call on, so manpower for
cooking will not be a difficulty.  I will only have a tiny bit of electricity
to use, and will be doing most cooking on BBQ grills.
I am already planning on some recipes out of Maggie Black's book, but I need
more recipes that would either go well with what I have, fit the time frame
(late 15C english) can be kept cold and carted there to be heated or kept
cold, etc.
I'm open to suggestions and comments!
So far I've picked for meat:
  Sweet-sour Spiced Rabbit (pg 28) - might substitute a different meat - is
this "bad"?
  'Roasted' Salmon with Wine Sauce (pg 104) - now we tried this one with three
'substitutions' - first, used olive oil for grilling the fish, second, I used
red onion (does anyone know what onions are period?) and I used a pink wine
(cheap Strawberry Hill Boones, someone had drunk the last bit of white I had -
and I had to beat people off with a spoon, they liked it:^)
Breads/Grains:
  Various breads, and flavored butters
I have a bread-o-crat, who makes wonderful breads, from deep fried with goat
cheese, to stuff with almonds and rosewater, etc (can't remember the names of
the stuff she did, it was out of an arabic manuscript). I can get her access
to a professional bakery, so now the question is "Is sourdough period?"
Greens:
  Salats (thinking of long post earlier in month about various salats.
For passing around after main course:
  Fried Fig Pastries (pg 66)
  Individual Cream Custard Tarts (pg 96)
  Rose Pudding (pg 109) - still trying to figure out where to get the edible
rose petals
Drinks:
  Sukanjiban (how ever that's spelled)
  Cider
  (read dry site- alchohol for cooking only)
Well, that's all I can think of for now, I'll be doing further reading and
refining.  I am also considering a tavern approach, by giving people tokens
for various "vendors" and having the courses served by "meat" merchant,
"bread'" merchant, and so on, so the servers can portion control.  I'm pretty
sure we wouldn't have the manpower or training ability for servers.  Plus the
site is cozy (I'll probably be within 20 ft of diners).
I'm toddling off to bed now, in a daze.  Please help!!
Thanks in advance,
Lady Kinuko