SC - period pigs, fatter or not?

bjorn9 at juno.com bjorn9 at juno.com
Wed Nov 4 14:33:41 PST 1998

On Wed, 4 Nov 1998 10:24:22 -0600  "Decker, Terry D."
<TerryD at Health.State.OK.US> writes:

>> we came to the following consensus...
>> 1. when I say free range, all Imean is not lot fed. Ras wasnt sure I
>was
>> including herded piggies, which I was (ahhhh....language!)
>>
>The difference as I see it is foraging as opposed to grain fed.  For
>most of
>"period", pigs were foragers, with possibly a little grain feeding
>before
>slaughter.
>
>> 2. period pigs are a different shape than modner lot fed pigs.
>>
>Have you taken into account the introduction and inter-breeding of
>Chinese
>pigs in the 18th Century.  If I understand the few comments I have
>read
>correctly, these pigs were fatter and had a different shape that were
>brought into the European breeds at that time.
>
>> Ras, did I get that right?
>> --AM
>>
>Here we go again. :-)
>
>Bear

(I ask forgiveness for the sins I am about to commit. :-/)

I don't want to be a swine about this, but is all this piggish swill
going to hog up the list again.

Quick, quick, let me under the rock, let me under the rock.

Bjorn Lochlannac
Barony of Bonwicke
Kingdom of Ansteorra