SC - period pigs, fatter or not?

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Wed Nov 4 17:21:54 PST 1998

Hi all from Anne-Marie

Joram sez:
Re; "bacon"
 their is two type of bacon and when a recipe calls for bacon it means
>Irish it will specifically call for streaky bacon when it is required. You
can
>find Irish bacon in star markets in south Boston and some of the Boston
stores
>proper. Hope this helps it has often given me pause to think.

another reason to use canadian bacon! also, two other observations...

1. when I home cure my own pork for making cassoulet and pate, it has WAY
less salt than the commercial stuff, and is far less fatty, even though
theoretically its from the same pig parts. Something tells me they save the
"good" stuff for the butcher markets, not Arm and Hammer.

2. someone told me once that in french, the word for "lard" and "bacon" are
the same. Anyone know anything about that?

- --AM