SC - OT - An old recipie memory

S.Albert salbert at ptialaska.net
Wed Nov 4 18:38:37 PST 1998

>My late husband,  Knikolos,  used to make this dish he called Eggs
>Goldenrod.  It was toast, buttered.  Then you took a hard boiled egg and
>separated the yolk from the white.  You took a fork and mashed each of
>them until they were crumbly.  Then, you took the white and put a layer
>on the toast, then a smaller layer of the yolk.  I think he finished it
>off with a cheese sauce, but I wouldn't swear to that.  (Maybe
>hollandaise?)
>
>Does this recipie sound familiar to anyone?  Do I have it right?  We are
>trying to come up with egg alternatives to bacon and, so I am racking my
>memories for variations.
>	Christianna

I do something similar. I start with hardboiled eggs, chopped coarse, and
add them to a rich cheese sauce (butter, flour, milk sauce and add your
flavor of cheese until it won't absorb anymore -- I usually use sharp
cheddar), and when heated through, serve on toast. It has no name, and is
only slightly changed from something my mother made. She's from a German
background, which may help, or not, as another family egg favorite is
something we've called flat-down eggs, and is remarkably close to
frittatas, which are Italian, of course.

Morgana

Morgana yr Oerfa, Baroness      *     Sharron Albert
Winter's Gate/Oertha/West       *     salbert at ptialaska.net
Per saltire gules and sable,    *     Babylon 5/science fiction
in pale two mullets and         *     (astrology/tarot)
in fess an increscent           *     I saw nothing unusual in the teacher's
and a decrescent argent.        *          lounge. --Bart Simpson