SC - Question on Butters

Peters, Rise J. PetersR at spiegelmcd.com
Thu Nov 5 11:09:00 PST 1998

I wrote:

<< I just went through this same process this past weekend!  (Even down to
the
 beef y-stewd).  And we went very overboard on butter, we had about half a
 pound per table of 8 (there were these neat little crocks to put it in and
 we just got carried away).  The  majority of it came back,..."

And Lady Diana (hi there!) responded:

>>	That seems just a tad light to me......... I'd be more inclined to
go with
the 1/2 lb per table, or at least 1 1/2 sticks.

Well, I =did= go with 1/2 pound per table, and I ended up throwing more than
one stick worth per table away.  It seems counterintuitive to me too, that's
why I overestimated so grossly when I cooked this feast.

>>But a lot does depend on how
much bread you are serving to mop it up,

Well, all the tables had more bread than they ate.  So it wasn't a shortage
of bread that was driving the consumption of butter.

I'll agree; it seems to me, too, that each table should get two sticks of
butter.  All I can say is that in my most recent experience, that resulted
in lots of wasted butter.