SC - Midol

DianaFiona at aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Thu Nov 5 11:21:27 PST 1998

In a message dated 11/5/98 11:42:29 AM Eastern Standard Time,
VICTORIA.DAVIS at aeroquip.com writes:

<<  The active chemical (at
 least one of them) in aspirin is salicylic acid*.  In nature, this
 chemical is derived from white willow bark.  If you want a period "cure"
 for headaches and other minor pains, you can either chew the bark from a
 white willow tree or make a tea of it.  >>
	You had to go and hit one of my hot buttons--herbs! ;-) There are actually a
number of plants that contain salicylic acid, although the only one I seem to
be able to come up with off the top of my head is Queen-of-the-Meadow. White
willow, however, *is* about the most potent of the choices, as I recall. If
anyone is *really* interested, there was a good article on herbal "aspirin" in
an issue of Herb Companion or Herb Quarterly a few years back. Had a pretty
good history of the development of the drug, I believe, and possibly some info
on period uses of willow and such...........

		Ldy Diana