SC - Question on Butters

DianaFiona at aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Thu Nov 5 11:53:19 PST 1998

In a message dated 11/5/98 2:13:42 PM Eastern Standard Time,
PetersR at spiegelmcd.com writes:

<< And Lady Diana (hi there!) responded:>>

	Hello, dear! It was delightful to actually meet you the other week, BTW!

 >>	That seems just a tad light to me......... I'd be more inclined to
 go with
 the 1/2 lb per table, or at least 1 1/2 sticks.

 Well, I =did= go with 1/2 pound per table, and I ended up throwing more than
 one stick worth per table away.  It seems counterintuitive to me too, that's
 why I overestimated so grossly when I cooked this feast.>>>

	I guess a lot is going to depend on other factors--how much other food there
is at a given meal (A stew-and-bread meal, for instance, would, I imagine, use
a fair bit more bread and butter than a multi-course feast.), how much butter
the folks in a given area tend to go for, etc.

 >>But a lot does depend on how
 much bread you are serving to mop it up,

 Well, all the tables had more bread than they ate.  So it wasn't a shortage
 of bread that was driving the consumption of butter.

 I'll agree; it seems to me, too, that each table should get two sticks of
 butter.  All I can say is that in my most recent experience, that resulted
 in lots of wasted butter.
	As fond as I am of butter myself, I may be over-estimating what the average
consumption is. ;-) But our typical Meridian event allows for a bit of error
in the matter: whatever isn't eaten at feast simply gets served at Sunday
breakfast, so little waste occurs. And if there is much left after that it is
given away as a general rule. I hate to think of just tossing good butter!
Goes against all my frugal instincts. :-)

		Ldy Diana