SC - Midol-OT-OOP

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Nov 5 13:58:59 PST 1998

In a message dated 11/5/98 10:56:30 AM Eastern Standard Time, phlip at bright.net
writes:

<< Since its main ingredient is aspirin, a willow bark derivative, probably
 partially.

 Phlip >>

Was willow bark used to alleviate pain in the Middle Ages? I f so, was it the
same variety of willow used for the blueprint in making modern aspirin? Was it
used as a tea or a poultice? What place did willow bark have in humoral
theory? If the willow from which aspirin was originally derived still exists ,
how can we be sure that the variety has not been 'improved' to the point that
medieval persons would not recognize it? Can I grow this willow in my own
garden? If so, what garden catalogs list it? Would it be worthwhile to grow
this plant or is the modern equivalent, Midol, considered an exceptable
substitute at events?

Ras