SC - Streaky Bacon

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Fri Nov 6 08:07:20 PST 1998

>we went shopping and I picked up bacon and he said no not streaky
>bacon loin bacon and I looked at him like what? Than we had a small
>discussion and we settled for Canadian bacon but he said it was not >the
right stuff and mentioned it back at school and that is as they say >that
we found it in Boston and it does have a different flavor more >smoky
than Canadian and we used it and the item was better tasting >for it.

When we were in England, we came across this the very first morning.  I
looked at what someone had on their plate and said "I'll have the ham".
Our hostess looked over and said "Right, the bacon".   I said "Not bacon,
the ham over there" etc., well we finally got it worked out, but it
started the discussion of our "bacon" vs. theirs.  A trip to the Tesco
(marvelous big super-store grocery, clothes, restaurant, etc.) showed us
the two sold side by side.  What we would consider bacon was sold as
"streaky bacon" and their version, which looks like a very thin boneless,
fatless pork loin cut sold as "bacon".  Now I understand why a rasher is
supposed to be one piece of bacon, when we used two slices when I was a
chef at the hotel.  Two slices of our bacon just about equals the
coverage area of one of theirs, if not the meat content.  (In the
diabetic exchange, our bacon is not even considered a meat, but a fat!)
	Christianna