SC - SC dumb Bread trencher Question

Sat Nov 7 20:39:41 PST 1998

> Hi everyone,    When you make trenchers, are they flat slices of bread or
> scooped out crust shells??    (Like bread bowls I have seen.)
>
>                                                                     Thank
> you,
>                                                                     Helen

A proper trencher is made from a round coarse wheat loaf 4 days old.  The
sides are squared.  The carver then cuts the top (upper crust) for his lord
and proceeds to cut slices (trenchers) from the loaf.

There is evidence that they were used as plates and on plates.  How they
were used probably was dependent on the amount of liquid served with the
food.

Commonly trenchers were cleared after each course and sent to the back door
to be given as charity to the poor.

To my knowledge, there is no evidence that bread bowls were used in period.
However, rastons come close.  Rastons are a white bread fortified with eggs
on which the top has been carefully cut away, the soft inner bread scooped
out, crumbled and fried with spices, then returned to the loaf and to top
placed on before serving.

Bear