SC - Bread Soup Bowls

Roy Wessel rwessel at xpert.net
Sun Nov 8 13:19:41 PST 1998

At 09:34 AM 11/7/98 EST, you wrote:
>Good Gentles,
>
>Your pardon if this has been discussed recently and I missed it.
>
>I need 100+ individual bread bowls. To save money for our Barony, I'll be
>making them from scratch. I plan to raise the dough and then freeze them.
>What's the best way to do this?

>Anyone who's done this successfully and would care to share your secrets, I'm
>very eager to learn! <grin>
>
>Yours gratefully,
>Rosalyn MacGregor
>(Pattie Rayl)

It was nearly thirty years ago in Tregirtsee (Chicago) that Astra of the
Gray Shadows, Duke Cariadoc and I, along with several other people whose
names I have forgotten, put on a small Period feast in my apartment honoring
some of the faculty from the University of Chicago.  We used soup bowls made
by cutting some round loaves in half and removing some of the soft bread to
make a hollow.  The bread that was removed was served separately.  The
loaves came from a Greek shop that had hundreds of them stacked floor to
ceiling, perhaps for a traditional festival.  Also, some of the restaurants
in Caerthe (Denver) and Caer Galen (Boulder) serve soup in a hollowed out
round loaf.  The trick seems to be to not remove too much bread, and to make
sure that the crust is thick and has time to air dry.

Yours in the Society,
Robin Vinehall

W. Roy Wessel                      | rwessel at xpert.net            |
3545 Arthur Court, #3              |  Voice: (303) 444-5004       |
Boulder, CO 80304-2031             |                              |
"Times change: it was once the custom to take a
bath weekly and to exercise  religion daily."
- --C.E."Ted" Andrews