SC - Suggestions for vegetarian "main" dish needed

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Sun Nov 8 18:03:55 PST 1998

At 7:27 PM -0500 11/8/98, Bronwynmgn at aol.com wrote:
>Greetings!
>    My husband and another member of our shire are working on our Twelfth
>Night feast for this year.  As we have several vegetarians in the shire, we
>are working the menu so as to have a suitable dish in each course; however, we
>are stuck for one for the main course.
>The menu currently stands as follows: (V denotes vegetarian dish)
>Seasonal fruits (apples, pears, etc), nuts and bread (V)
>
>Roo Broth
>Slit leek soup (V)
>Hummus (V)
>
>Tartlet of Veal
>Tart of Ymbre Day (V)
>Beans y-fride (V)
>
>Roast venison with pepper sauce
>
>Apple tart (V)
>
>As you can see, we need a vegetarian dish to complement the roast venison.
>I've had one shire member suggest a gluten roast - which suggestion has been
>politely refused, explaining that we would like all the dishes to be period.
>The vast majority of the rest of the recipes are 14th century English; I'd
>like a nice solid veggie dish of a similar nature.  Any suggestions?

Macrows or Losyns? For something a little odder but 14th c. English, Ryse
of Fische Daye?

Armored turnips are 15th c. Italian, but good.

Frumenty was traditionally served with venison, and the vegetarians could
just eat the frumenty--but it might be a little dull by itself. Off hand, I
can't think of anything vegetarian that would complement frumenty the way
the venison would--but perhaps someone else here can.

I assume you know that Hummus (by which I presume you mean Hummus bi
Tahini--the usual chickpea dip) is not 14th c. English. Do you have any
evidence that it is period? I haven't come across any recipes for it in the
period Islamic cookbooks.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/