SC - Feast Service

Laura C Minnick lainie at gladstone.uoregon.edu
Sun Nov 8 20:23:14 PST 1998

On Sun, 8 Nov 1998, Christine A Seelye-King wrote:

> (BTW, I was referring to the Introduction letter
> just recently posted from a lady in ?An Tir? who said her most recent
> foray into period feasting included reseached folds in the tablecloths, I
> am still curious to hear more about that.)

Christina,
	I believe that was me, and there are several documents that
address the tablecloth issue. The one that I made most use of was from
Wynken de Worde's _Boke of Kervynge_ (15thc.). _Ffor to Serve Lord_ also
has some passages about tablecloths, and a 'Fifteenth-Century Courtesy
Book' (bound with a fifteenth-century Franciscan rule by EETS). There's
quite a few books about how to serve one's lord, and most of them have
instructions on laying the table, as well as hand-washing (another thing
we did, with warm rose-water and special hand-towels and a polished silver
pitcher...). Reading these documents can be a bit of a pain, but if you
look in the reference section of a local college library, they are likely
to have a Middle English Dictionary- there are several. Let me know if you
have more questions.

'Lainie
- -
Laura C. Minnick
University of Oregon
Department of English
- -
"Libraries have been the death of many great men, particularly the
Bodleian."
	Humfrey Wanley, c. 1731