SC - Bread Soup Bowls

Tue Nov 10 04:11:26 PST 1998

> You speak of leaking bowls.  At Pennsic, a merchant, called _The Bread
> Bowl_ (go figure) makes several kinds of stew and serves them to
> customers.  Some sit down in the food court to eat, but many just wander
> through the merchants, holding their bowls and eating.  As there aren't
> dribbly trails all over Pennsic, there must be some way to keep the bowls
> from leaking for, say, 45 minutes?
>
> Allison

Wet your hands when shaping the loaf.  Like working clay, this helps fill in
weak spots and it forms a hard, even crust.  It's not as tasty as some
crusts, but it should be less prone to leakage.

>From some of the other posts, I would leave a good amount of bread inside
the bowl to absorb excess liquid and I would consider using a thickened stew
rather than a thin broth.

It's getting to be good soup weather, so it might be worthwhile to run up a
couple batches of bread bowls and test them fresh and at two and four days.

Bear