SC - Bread Soup Bowls

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Nov 10 21:10:58 PST 1998

Allison said:

> You speak of leaking bowls.  At Pennsic, a merchant, called _The Bread
> Bowl_ (go figure) makes several kinds of stew and serves them to
> customers.  Some sit down in the food court to eat, but many just wander
> through the merchants, holding their bowls and eating.  As there aren't
> dribbly trails all over Pennsic, there must be some way to keep the bowls
> from leaking for, say, 45 minutes?

I remember having the bread bowls from this merchant at Pennsic XXV. For
Pennsic XXVII, he had greatly increased his price to $6, which I thought
was too much for what you got, so I didn't buy any. For the most part, the
soups were rather thick. Cream soups, chili and pasta rather than a clear
soup. The crust was fairly hard. The soup did soak into the bread, but
not as far as the crust as far as I remember.

What did period folk do for food on the go? Did they always sit down to
eat? We can't seem to find proof of sandwiches or breadbowls or flatbreads
with meats in them (such as Greek Gyros or tortillas).

Now, Elizabeth and Bear have brought up rastons recently. This was a bread
with stuff stuffed inside it, but it appears to be only buttered bread.
Is there evidence of anything else being stuffed or cooked inside bread
which would then fit into the same niche as modern sandwiches?

We have pictures of pretzels being sold on the street. It seems logical
that a filled bread would only be a step away from this for fairs and
such.

Thanks.
  Stefan li Rous
  Ansteorra