SC - Re: Freezing Bread Dough

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Tue Nov 10 23:16:04 PST 1998

About 5 PM yesterday, I took a package of frozen bread dough out of the
freezer, decided to use the overnight-thaw-in-the-fridge method.  About
1-2AM, I read Bear's directions to go straight from freezer to pre-heated
oven without letting any condensation form.  OH boy, I thought, I've
blown that batch!  Fortunately, it expanded to fill its plastic bag so
thoroughly that there may not have been room for condensation to form.  I
let it rise the 3 hours called for, then baked.  The first baking had 2
bread pans and one oval casserole; the second baking had 4 6x8 aluminum
pans.  The convection function of the oven set itself at 50* lower than
the specified temperature, and then ensured that the loaves rose and
browned evenly, even in the middle.  It's great, and all but one loaf
(with about 4 slices gone!) are in freezer bags and back in the freezer.

I haven't baked bread in quite a while, but as I looked at them cooling,
with a cold, windy, rainy night outside, and my geraniums valiantly
blooming, I decided I have to do this lots more.  Thanks, everybody, for
all the good advice that comes across this list!

Regards,

Allison
allilyn at juno.com, Barony Marche of the Debatable Lands, Pittsburgh, PA
Kingdom of Aethelmearc