SC - Suggestions for vegetarian "main" dish needed

Phillippa Venn-Brown p.vbrown at tsc.nsw.edu.au
Thu Nov 12 03:20:20 PST 1998

> In a message dated 11/9/98 5:48:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> Bronwynmgn at aol.com writes:
  <<As far as what kind of beans, I've done them in the past with white
> northern
>  beans.  I know it should be favas - or could we use the lentils for
that???

My Lady, Just a word, although someone has probably pointed this out and I
haven't caught up with the postings yet (300 since last cleared, I don't
know how long I can take it).

Lord Ras' suggestions are good but remember that if you are using fava
(broad beans) it can be life threatening to people with G6PD, a blood
dyscrasia amongst some Asian and Eastern Mediterranean groups. I am sure
you will but please remember to publish this choice in the menu. I have
nursed people with hemolytic anemia who had G6PD and were unaware that it
was a substituted ingredient in a menu where the host didn't know better.
(This occurred mundanely). I probably wouldn't mention it but G6PD is
becoming more common in Australia as I became aware of at a feast I was
preparing. I did a bean dish which is traditionally made with fava beans,
"fava di morte". When it was posted on the menu 4 people approached me to
see if there were fava beans in the dish as they all had G6PD. As they were
not my local group, but I was "guest/ghost cooking" a major feast in
another group I had been unaware that there were such a (statistically)
high number of people with the dyscrasia.

(Sorry I just get a bit twitchy at times, Must be my 14 years as a
chirurgeon and my 20 years of nursing.)
Filippa Ginevra