SC - pine nuts

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Nov 13 21:00:33 PST 1998

Gwyneth asked:

> I live in East Texas.  Where might I get "pine nuts".  Would there be a
> good substitution?

In the previous discussion on this list, almonds with some juniper berries
were discussed as a substitution. However, the opinion was that the taste
wasn't quite the same.

For more info on pine nuts check this file in the FOOD section of my
Florilegium:

nuts-msg          (43K)  8/21/98    Nuts, acorns, nut flours in medieval foods.

One of the website given also has a list of nut substitutions. Unfortunately,
I don't think any mail order sources were given. I can find jars of pine nuts
in most of the grocery stores around here (Austin, TX). I think they are
usually in a different area than the peanuts, cashews, pecans etc.

My files can be found at: http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html

Hope this helps.
  Stefan li Rous
  stefan at texas.net