SC - From: The newest Laurel in our midst!

LHG, JRG liontamr at ptd.net
Tue Nov 17 05:30:08 PST 1998

Hello to the members of the list! Thanks so much for all your kind words.
As Ragnar and Caitlin Ruadh can attest, I was completely flummoxed. You
see, I knew about hubbie's pellican, but had no idea about MY impending
doom! And, he knew, but not WHEN. Imagine my surprise to hear the rich
fruity baritone of my own scadian brother as court herald, sonorously
calling my name. He made a good ten or twelve syllables out of it, at
least!

I was thrilled to meet Caitlyn Ruadh (so thrilled that I popped a button
off my cloak in a rush to hug her). My sneaky household has been plotting
this since Pennsic, unknown to myself and Brion. I suppose I must have been
deaf, dumb, and blind not to see what was going on, but I truly believed I
had a good 2 years or so to go. I completely missed the pointed discussion
about head circlets (so I would have the sort of wreath I never knew I
wanted). And I was thrilled to find a dozen red roses waiting for me in the
vigil room from my barony. I truly was one of those silly people who cater
their own vigil (thought it was for HIM, you see).

His cloak was a gift (beautiful but unfinished) from Mistress Gabrielle
Anora D'Autre Mere when she moved from the Barony a year or so ago, which I
finished and embroidered a pellican patch for, on tea-dyed muslin. I found
a chirpy-bird noise box and concealed it under the chicks of the Pellican
device (two blondes  and a brunette, just like our real chicks). I added
kitty buttons (he has a catamount on his device) and trim in his colors.
His medallion came from the Former Aethelmearc (kingdom) Seneschal Baroness
Mistress  Orianna Fridrikskona, and was enamel filigree. (I think that 's
what it's called--it's both cut-out AND enamelled, as if one of those
things weren't hard enough!).

My wreath was a gift from my household, Clan Chattan, a leather tooled band
with a semiprecious stone in the center. My beautiful wool cloak came from
my sister in law Mistress Alicia Langland , and my medallion was
incredible. It came from my good friend Mistress Philippia Cupbreaker, who
had recieved it from the (then) Society Arts and Sciences officer Mistress
Camilla Ginevre de Capri. Wow. That still floors me. The cord is amber
nuggets on a long string, and the medallion is gold cloisonne enammel with
a green wreath.

All these things, made or gifted lovingly to honor us by our friends, were
overwhelming. But it was the genuine tears of joy from Their Majesties,
truly the most precious gift we recieved that day, that we will always
treasure. TRM Morguhn and Meirwen, and their partner in crime Duchess Sir
Rowan made this an incredible day, not only for their actions but also for
their words and support (and sneaky planning). Thanks are also due Mistress
Orianna and Mistress Alicia for the lovely Vigil sites, and organization.
Those who spoke for us were (in no particular order) Duchess Sir Rowan,
Earl Yngvar (who also spoke for Countess Caryl), Master Brendan Brisbane
(also speaking for his lady-wife Mistress Philippia Cupbreaker ----- who
sent a letter, read in court, that I will always cherish), Mistress Alicia
Langland who was so emotional she almost couldn't speak, and Mistress
Orianna Fridrikskona, my former boss and Brion's predecessor as Seneschal
of Aethelmearc.

Ragnar and his lady-wife gifted me with a large, lethal looking knife so
that now Adamantius won't be the only Peer with a 10-inch you
know-what(insert rude knife-brand name here). Tee -Hee.

No one could possibly be more honored than I am by all this attention. But
let's get back to cooking now. I'm hungry. What's for lunch?

Dame Aoife Finn (Dame, 'cause now when they say "it's that dam Aoife
again", they'll be using a perfectly good medieval form of my title! That,
plus my 'Mistress' days are well behind me :).