SC - Shopping savvy for Feasts-revisited

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Nov 18 21:34:26 PST 1998

Ras exclaimed:
> Actually, I think one of the biggest things that raise costs for feasts is
> the lack of pruchacing savvy on the part of manyy cooks
>
> For instance, whole pork but is less expensive than pork loin. Whole chickens
> less than deboned, skinned chicken breast. Oftentimes fresh vegetables in
> season are less pricey than frozen vegetables, as well as tastier. An olive
> opil blend is just as suitable as extra virgin olive oil for many purposes.
> Already your costs are almost halved. :-)

Yes, I think a list of such suggestions might be very useful. Ras, write up a
list of these and more suggestions, perhaps in clearer language (just what is
an olive opil blend?) and I will do what little I can by putting it into my
Florilegium, either as an article or if all I get is a bunch of messages as
a message file. I'd prefer a well-written article, although if this is the
kind of thing where folks are going to disagree, perhaps a series of messages
would be best.

I wouldn't expect all suggestions to be of interest to all cooks, but I think
a lot of folks would find something of use in such a list. I know that some
will think making their own bread is a great way to save money and others
will consider it ridiculous for themselves. Some may say to use margarine
instead of butter, while likely some of you zealots :-) will disagree.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net