SC - Buying Space (Was: Price of Feasts) (Was: Butter)

THLRenata at aol.com THLRenata at aol.com
Thu Nov 19 11:22:46 PST 1998

Micaylah asks:

<< Okay, I think I missed something here. Could someone please explain what
 "buying space in the newsletter" means. If I am reading this correctly,
 doesn't Corpora say selling advertisement space in our newsletters is a
 no-no? >>

As a former kingdom chronicler, I answer:

Not exactly. Kingdom newsletters, which are official SCA publications, may
sell advertising space. US Postal regulations say that the ads must relate in
some way to the SCA -- they must advertise goods and services that pertain
directly to this game we play.

Local (below kingdom level) newsletters are not allowed to sell ad space
because the income from ads is taxable. Kingdom newsletters report this income
to the Coropation quarterly, but there is no reporting required for local
newsletters and far too many of them to keep careful financial records of at
the *corporate* level.  So the SCA has decided not to allow paid ads n local
newsletters.

Regarding space for events in the newsletters: Caid offers free space for any
event on the official kingdom calendar.  But we are a geographically small
kingdom (excepting Hawaii and New Zealand) and have relatively few geo-
political units.  Other kingdoms with more geo-politcal units have different
ways of alloting their newsletter space.  Some allow a certian amount of space
free, with more available at charge.  Some only run event ads for kingdom
level events and local events must buy space in the kingdom newsletter.  Each
kingdom is different.

I hope this has answered your question.

Renata
Kingdom of Caid