SC - Chef's training

Mary Morman memorman at oldcolo.com
Thu Nov 19 14:51:02 PST 1998

I suppose our expectations are different.  What I was trying to
communicate is that there are cooking schools that still teach cooking
"from scratch" in stead of opening the prepackaged mixes, adding water,
and serving the results.  For me "from scratch" for a chef involves
knowing the cities markets and produce markets and being able to locate,
purchase, and arrange delivery of fresh meats, fruits, and vegetables.  it
does not involve going out, catching a goat, and butchering it.  To me,
that's a whole different level of involvement, and one that is not very
useful in the modern kitchen.  Butterfly a porkchop or de-bone a chicken,
yes - kill and skin a goat, no.

And don't worry Ras, it's not a personal or family matter, just one of
perspective on what is or is not important.

Elaina