SC - Pheasant recipe

Philippa Alderton phlip at bright.net
Thu Nov 19 22:31:17 PST 1998

If you give me a bit of time, a couple of days or so, I can get you a fair
number of recipes, both period and not. I'm having a bit of a slowdown
since I discovered someone stole the furnace out of the property I just
bought.

The basic rule you need to understand about pheasant is that it is a very
dry/unfatty meat, so either wet cooking methods (stewing, braising) or
added fat when dry cooking (barding, larding, or simply laying fatback or
bacon over the bird) when roasting or baking are the most appropriate
methods of dealing with the bird.

Also, keep in mind, that pheasant, IIRC, originated in China, and is an
import to almost everywhere else. In order for it to be "period", you might
consider finding out when it got to "your" area.

In the meantime, enjoy- it's my favorite game bird ;-)

Phlip
Caer Frig
Barony of the Middle Marches
Middle Kingdom