SC - Oils (was: Shopping savvy for Feasts)

Fri Nov 20 12:41:58 PST 1998

> Isn't canola oil (alias rape seed oil) Old World? Although I can't think
> of
> any specific references to it, as I can for almond, walnut, sesame, and
> olive oil. Peanut, corn, and soybean oils would be out of period, of
> course.
>
> Elizabeth/Betty Cook

The quick ref says canola oil is extracted from Brassica napus, a European
member of the mustard family, commonly referred to as rape or oil rape.
Also according to the quick ref, rape oil is used a lubricant and in
manufacturing processes.  Whether it's medieval or not, I couldn't say, but
the taste is such I don't think any self respecting medieval cook would let
it get anywhere near the kitchen.  I think its use in cooking is recent, due
to its "healthy" properties.

Bear