SC - Barbarian Barbeque (was: A New Thread)

Fri Nov 20 13:22:21 PST 1998

> Bear asked...
> What non-Hellenic culture at which time are you considering as the basis
> for
> your venture?  The roast meat is fairly common.  It's the side dishes
> which
> make it an adventure.
>
> I have no idea what to consider. Any ideas and guidance for a time frame
> would be a good place to start IMO. Bear?
>
> Micaylah

According to a lot of people, Celts are always barbaric, a slanderous
opinion which seems to have run from the Neolithic to the Present.

You might try the Saxons, who barbequed Roman Britian, or the Saxons 300
years later who caused problems for Charlemagne.  Goths, Visigoth, Lombards,
Franks are good bets up to about 700 CE.  Seems to me the Huns also caused a
few worries.

Between 700 and 800 CE, the proto-Dons and the Berbers considered each other
barbarians, until they arrived at a mutual tolerance through casual warfare.
When the Moors finally lost, Spain had to find the New World to locate more
barbarians to subjugate.

In 793, the Vikings partied hearty at Lindisfarne and kept on until the 11th
Century, when their heyday petered out after the last hurrah at Clontarf in
1014.

During the 12th and 13th Centuries, the Mongols pushed a number of nomadic
tribes west, then unified and rolled over about 2/3s of the known world.
Their quaint customs earned them the title of Barbarian and gained them a
lot of real estate.

So there are some choices.  The big problem is we don't know much about
their culinary delights, except in the case of the Moors, so we depend on
archelogical data and a lot of guess work.

To research it, I think I would start with the Florilegium, looking for
references and ideas.  Stefan has some files in his Food section which cover
some of these groups.

Personally, I would focus on the Saxons and the Vikings.  We Celts are far
to civilized to truly belong on this list.

Bear