SC - Pigs revisited-long

Philippa Alderton phlip at bright.net
Sat Nov 21 06:11:20 PST 1998

Bear said:

>Thinking about this, I would first question the quality of the translation
and second I would wonder if Platina is trying to describe a species
differentiation without having the proper vocabulary to do so.<

I have to run this AM, but I'll look into the translation later today.

>When did we start differentiating between a pig and a hog by the weight of
the animal?<

I don't know the answer to this one- I always thought a pig was a young,
immature animal, past nursing (ie, not a piglet), a hog was a gelded male,
being raised for butchering, a gilt was an unbred female, a boar was a
breeding male, and a sow was a breeding female.

Phlip
Caer Frig
Barony of the Middle Marches
Middle Kingdom