SC - Pork Assumptions: Pro and Con

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Nov 23 09:43:24 PST 1998

In a message dated 11/23/98 10:25:55 AM Eastern Standard Time,
liontamr at ptd.net writes:

<< One, are we absolutely sure the definition of lard (or translation for that
 matter) is the same now as it was in the middle ages? It could concievably
 mean that those hogs and/or pigs were produced for fat bacon, for instance,
 or that the fatty meat was preferred to the leaner and was therefore called
 "lard" to differentiate it from lean pork. It is feasible that "lard" in
 this case, became the name for fat at a later date. We use the word as an
 adjective NOW as well as a noun. >>

Thank-you, Aoife, that was exactly what I meant when this whole pig thing
started. :-)

Ras