SC - OT - inalienable freedom of speech

Thu Nov 26 05:50:01 PST 1998

> . The trouble is that at the
> time (roughly 1776 through 1791), virtually no government on Earth
> guaranteed such freedoms to its citizens, and most still don't, at least
> not officially and in writing.

Having the words on paper doesn't make freedom a reality.  The Soviet Union
and the People's Republic of North Vietnam cribbed heavily from the
Constitution and didn't make it reality.

I have long felt that the reason the United States has been successful with
its Constitution is that the intent, the ideals and the goals were the
subject of one of the greatest public debates in history, that much of the
debate was carried on among the general population, and that the politicians
listened and reached a workable consensus.

> Oh, and another thing Americans frequently forget, when they do whatever
> the bleep they want, anywhere and at any time, since they're guaranteed
> such a level of freedom, is the freedom to rot in the calaboose.
>
> Adamantius
> Østgardr, People's Republic of the East

Ah, well, one must recognize that with freedom comes responsibility.  The
courts and the calaboose are there to help one remember this fact.  Where
these venerable institutions are concerned, the place to exercise free
speech is in front of the budget committee.

Bear