SC - Rastons experiment

Fri Nov 27 07:54:38 PST 1998

> ----------

A wastel is a loaf of the second quality.  It is not made from the finest
flour, so there is some bran in the loaf.  Think of a robust whole wheat
bread.

> Sounds like you would end up with a wet, soggy blob, while doing it with
> dough might get you some kind of dumpling.

Doing it with dough will likely get you a pudding.  Take a look in you files
for the plum pudding recipe and compare.

> How would you group this recipe? Is it a bread? A dumpling? Is there any
> modern dish this resembles? If this ends up like a bread pudding, why
> hollow it out and put the stuff inside the bread loaf? Why not just mix
> the bread crumbs and spices and raisons together? Perhaps the loaf holds
> everything together? But it is bound together. Perhaps the binding is
> just string which wouldn't hold a loose dough or crumb mix but will hold
> a soggy loaf?
>
> Thanks.
>   Stefan li Rous
>   stefan at texas.net

I would consider it a stuffed bread, even though it is cooked a little
oddly.  I think the loaf is being used as a container rather than an
integral part of the dish.  Wrapped in a fine mesh or a piece of cloth, the
bread should retain its shape, even when soggy.

I may have to try this one next year (after I trim the fat off a leg of
lamb).

Bear