SC - intro

Karen tyrca at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 11 19:21:05 PDT 1998

Caitlin NicFhionghuin gave directions for saurkraut.

I have a few questions.

>>Basically, it's shredded cabbage pickled in salt.  It's quite acidic,
>>try not to use an aluminum pan, but I'm sure you know that.

>The way my Mother learned to make  it (we lived in the Ramstein area) was
>fairly simple, but takes a loooong time.  She used to layer shredded
>cabbage and kosher salt in a stoneware crock (a regular dinner plate fit
>inside it just to fit)...about 2" cabbage and a tb or so of salt, then
>mashed it with a wooden masher until the juice came over the cabbage.

Ok. cabbage and salt. I thought cabbage was pretty dry. Where did enough
juice come from to cover the cabbage?

Kosher salt? For those of us who are not Jewish and don't care if the
salt is kosher or not, is this just regular salt or is it different in
what's in it or the size of the grains or something else other than
being blessed or kept seperate from certain items?

Thanks.
  Stefan li Rous
  stefan at texas.net