Pre-mixed field greens - was: Re: SC - salads (long)

Phil & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Oct 11 20:59:49 PDT 1998

his is a good recipe for the creative period cook because of it's
obvious
resemblance to similar mincemeat-like recipes. The addition of 1/4 cup
finely
diced suet and 6 ounces of finely chopped raw venison to the main
ingredients
would make this tart substantial enough to serve as a first course. More
importantly, IMO, it would be as period as any thing we know about and
with
appropriate documentation could be entered into A & S displays or
competitions
without fear of 'being out of period'. :-)

Enjoy!

al-Sayyid A'aql ibn Ras al-Zib, AoA, OSyc
Guildmaster (The Guild of St. Martha)
Kingdom of Aethelmearc
Shire of Abhain Ciach Ghlas
Mountain Confederation
Clan Ravenstar
<<<<<<<<

Very interesting, Ras, and it brings up a question that I have had for
some time, about mincemeat.  I grew up with mincemeat pies for
Christmas as something with _meat_ in them.  My mother usually used
leftover roast beef or venison, put it through a hand grinder, and
added the apples and raisins, and canned the filling to use for the
holidays.  It is my father's favorite.  As I grew older, and went more
out into the world, I discovered that other people I talked to had
never heard of meat in mince pies.  They thought I was crazy.

Did they really use meat in mincemeat pies in period?  Or is my family
just an abberation?  Any recipes?  Anyone?

Tyrca

==
Lady Tyrca Ivarsdottir
- -"Honesty is Everything"
AoA, OPN, ASTA, oleander
Barony of Elfsea (Life is Good in Elfsea!)
(all sorts of places in and around Ft. Worth, TX)
Kingdom of Ansteorra