SC - Feast Death not a Legend

Chickengoddess chickengoddess at mindspring.com
Mon Oct 12 05:52:05 PDT 1998

Yes, I'm interested in carob use in the middle ages as well.  I'd never
encountered it till now, but in borrowing a copy of Fabulous Feasts (to use as
a bad example of what's out there for a class on choosing a period cookbook)
I noted the use of carob in several recipes  - including a "sallat" recipe
which, rather than the oniony greens we've been discussing, is mostly
parboiled root vegetables (carrots, parsnips, beets 8-0), and fruits,
including dried pineapple, and carob pods, with an elaborate creamy dressing.
I think this "sallat" recipe is probably one of her more dubious recipes as
far as having a period relationship.  Any other thought on that, as well as
the carob question?  Is there documentation for use of carob in medieval
European cooking?

Brangwayna