SC - suggestions on A&S entry

Mike Young uther at lcc.net
Mon Oct 12 06:24:45 PDT 1998

In a message dated 10/12/98 2:40:56 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tyrca at yahoo.com
writes:

<< Did they really use meat in mincemeat pies in period?  Or is my family
 just an abberation?  Any recipes?  Anyone?

 Tyrca >>

Modern mincemeat does not usually contain meat and is made with things like
green tomatoes. The lack of meat in mincemeat is definitely a modern concept.
One of the worst inovations I can think of. Our family also used meat in the
mincemeat (e.g. ground beef to be exact). Grandma used to add a meatball in
the top of each jar before she sealed it so us kid's would have something to
'fight over' when she opened the jar later on. :-)

Although I am unaware of any recipes from the middle ages that are
specifically named 'mincemeat'in the manuscripts, you will find not a few
combinations of fruit/meat mixtures that are , for all intent and purposes,
mincemeat in flavor and form. So far as a recipe goes...I think the Tartys in
Applis was enough work for one weekend. :-) Perhaps there are others on the
list who have researched and experimented in this area who would be willing to
share their results.