SC - Italian Ren Feast

Richard & Lara Campbell scotland at cloudnet.com
Mon Oct 12 11:38:28 PDT 1998

Oh my gosh!!!!!
AM here....

we do the "polite food fight" here too. I wonder if it evolved
independantly in both places? We often will "hire" messengers. Small
dainty dishes are packed especially for this. Often the food will become
altered, ie a mini subtlty, if you will.

my favorites have included the anatomically correct dough boy made out
of squishy bread (sent to a lady having marital problems who made it
look even MORE like her ex by lopping off choice bits!), and the norse
longship complete with oars that became engulfed by a giant squid made
of green beans (we had to do something with them...they were OOP. you
didnt expect us to eat them, did you!?)

I find it fascinating that in Adamantius neck of the woods they do this
too! and I thought it was something that we came up with all on our own
:) about five years ago!!

	I remember the squid of green beans!  That was slick.

	Ummmmm...I might possibly be a vector for this charming
	custom.  As I recall, I was first exposed to this
	practice when attending an event with Her Grace Jacyntha
	(I *think* was Crown Princess then) in An Tir.  I thought
	it was charming and made sure we had silver trays and
	paper slips packed for the Crown Council feast in An Tir
	that year--where quite a few visiting dignitaries were
	present.

	An observation from that feast: I've discovered that
	civilized food fighting is a lot like the Olympics; it
	generally starts with bits of bread (the compulsories)
	and progresses to the advanced entries that display
	either punning wit or sophisticated artistry.  At that
	feast, my two favorites in those categories were when
	Rorik (who is an Edmonton city cop) sent to duchess
	Elina of Beckenham (then a military MP) a salt cellar
	and a battery from my flashlight..."a salt and battery"...

	The other was one Baniarla Sineidin sent me that was
	an exquisite lady's face with a wimple and veil made
	from flower petals.

	Anyway, I then took this on the road...among other
	places, to the Eastern Royalty Dinner at Pennsic.
	Brian Tarragon (currently King Brian of the East)
	sent a flayed chicken carcass to us, blood eagle
	style, as "the juggernaut of Atenveldt"; and Duke
	Artan (then King of the Outlands) was sitting next
	to me and got very absorbed in his notes and who
	he was fighting with; when I moved here, they were
	doing it at feasts.

	So...I'm equally positive the idea has occurred to
	someone else at some time.  But it's at least
	possible it stems from these two particular feasts.

Berengaria