SC - Re: Feasts too high?

Gretchen M Beck grm+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Oct 12 12:00:11 PDT 1998

Hullo, the list!

So there I am, on Saturday morning, compelled by random circumstance and a
spouse who is a serious caffeine addict, on line to purchase some of Dunkin'
Donuts' famous intestinal purgative coffee.

To ease the pain on my eyes of the sight of the lady behind the counter
mucking up people's orders, my gaze wanders over to the various baked goods (I
use the term loosely) available for purchase and consumption.

I look at the Krappy Kakes, the Cheezy Poofs, the Barfy Baps, and the
Cholesterol Cuties...I begin to look at the lower shelves, containing the
boring stuff...the whole-wheat donuts (probably the best thing they sell,
actually), the crullers, the manchets, the...

Yes, you heard it here first! The manchets! There they were on the bottom
shelf, looking like every manchet I've ever seen! These are pale, soft,
high-domed round rolls, looking almost like huge meringues, maybe 6" across,
slashed in one or two places.

To further cloud the issue, when I asked the counterperson what they were
called, I was told they were French Rolls, which happens to be a name for an
early post-period descendant of manchets. From the looks of these things,
these may have had milk in them, but probably not eggs.

It was just a bit of a shock, that's all; DD was the last place I ever
expected to see such a thing.

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --