SC - allergy-kit MORE questions

Tue Oct 13 04:55:55 PDT 1998

Corwyn wrote:

>Where does one find such a thing? My Lady is allergic to bee sting, so far
the
>swelling has confined itself to the first joint. She doesn't like Doctors
and
>I've been trying to get her to get something to deal with it before it
spreads
>further. Is it possible to order such a thing without her knowledge and
keep
>it on hand?

The Ana Kit and the EpiPen, an auto injection device for those too squeamish
to use the conventional syringe, are available from any pharmacy, but do
require a doctor's prescription.  Here are some things to consider about
these items.

First, that these injections will not completely stop a severe anaphylactic
reaction, but _will_ provide about 15 minutes of remission of symptoms,
giving time to seek medical help.

Next, get several.  Put one in an easy to reach place at home, one in the
car, carry one in your pouch.  You never know.

There are not different kits for different allergies.  That is because the
reaction is the same no matter what starts it off.  For those who do not
know, anaphylactic shock is not your general allergic reaction.  It is a
swift and severe reaction of the whole body.  Visible symptoms include,
progressive constriction of the airways, possibly leading to cynosis
(turning blue), severe rash or hives, even convulsions.  What you don't see
is the bottoming out of blood pressure, and the irregular heartbeat, but
these can also happen.  Regardless, the process is dangerously fast once
it's begun and if you're not near a hospital and have no rescue kit, like
those mentioned above, can easily be fatal.

Your wife's bee sting doesn't sound like it's that bad yet.  If with the
next sting her whole arm swells instead of her finger, then I'd say you had
a case of hypersensitivity here, and you should get her a kit.  If she has
_ever_ had trouble breathing after a sting, even mildly, then yes, she needs
a kit.  But if it swells her finger a lot, she's probably having a normal
reaction to a bad sting.  Different bees and wasps have different venom, and
some folks are not allergic to all of them, but if you truly suspect severe
allergy here, best be safe than sorry.  For normal sting, generally ice is
best to slow down the venom and give relief.  Benadryl can also be given (if
it doesn't interact with other meds or health conditions the person may be
on) to relieve symptoms and swelling.

You friendly, long-winded, beekeeping pharmacist,
Rhiannon Cathaoir-mor
South Downs, Meridies